Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Gossip and Human Nature

In my quest to understanding my nature and being a better person towards by fellow humans I am finding it most difficult to stay away from gossip or being a party to gossip.

>>>Big Sigh<<<

Recently I found myself in a group setting of women one Friday evening. Some I knew quite well and others not so well. For the most part we were just visiting, partaking of very nice wine and talking about random things which lead to a certain topic and then lo and behold smack dab into a slam fest of a area family of which I took part.

I never gave it another thought until over the weekend all of a sudden I was overcome with guilt......

Why is it that when a group of people get together they feel the need to bash someone? Is it because it makes us feel superior? Or is it because we ourselves feel inadequate as humans so in order to feel better about ourselves we bash someone else?

I don't really care for this family but I don't wish them any harm. The way they live or the decisions they make are none of my business - none of my business that is until their lives intertwine with mine. Which they do on occasion. And then I do have a right to say something to a point. But I shouldn't have been gossiping about them.

I do know that I still have a lot to learn........Maya Angelou said the same thing.

I tend to do my own thing and stay to myself. Mainly because I don't want to know all the secrets of the lives that live in and around my community. I still find myself in situations though where I am told certain secrets and I always regret it. Once you know something about someone you can never look at them again with the same eyes you looked at them with before. It's kinda sad really.

No comments: