Monday, April 7, 2008

Paper Art & Plastic Bag Creations

I got this very cool idea from another blogger. cristencrochet@blogspot.com She actually has a really great blog spot with lots and lots of ideas.

Mostly this project was made from 'People' magazine pages. (given to me - not bought) Very nice colors. I just rolled and rolled and shapped and shapped until it looked like it was done. One of my sons really likes it wanted to know if he could have it Of course I said yes. I really liked this idea and plan on making more.

The reason I felt it important to state that I didn't buy the magazines is because I am trying to create art out of free, found, recycled items. So it wouldn't really count (as if I'm counting) if I bought the magazines.

I have been embracing the green movement. If I could afford it I would have a totally sustainable home run with solar and wind power. But for now I am doing all the little things.

Which reminds me of a funny little something. A few days ago I ran into a local grocery store just to grab a couple items. I always take my own grocery bags with me and I always make sure the cashier credits my 0.05 per bag. I have also been making different projects out of plastic grocery bags. As I was leaving I asked the cashier if it would be ok to take a fistfull of the plastic bags from the bin where people put their used plastic grocery bags for recycling. She said 'yes - no problem, take what you want'. So I did, but as I was walking to my car I thought, you know she must think me a real nut, here I bring in my own grocery bag and make sure she credits my receipt with 5 cents, then I take a handful of used grocery bags. I just thought it as kinda funny.

I will post pictures of my plastic grocery bags projects. I've made a bath mat for bathroom, kitchen rug, back door rug, a bag for groceries and currently I am almost finished with a backpack for the beach. Personally the grocery bag I made I think turned out a little to big, but I like it anyway and have used it for other reasons.




No comments: